Bike & Boat - River Safety Volunteer
Wildlands Conservancy is currently seeking River Safety Volunteers to work in our outdoor education program, Bike & Boat. Participants in this program canoe down a stretch of the Lehigh River and bicycle back to their starting point along the Lehigh Navigation Canal towpath (D & L Trail). Most trips also include environmental education programs focusing on river ecology and history, and use the river and the canal as an outdoor classroom. Our programs include canoeing and biking trips, overnight river island camping adventures, public pool demos, and various special events. Participants include public and private schools, church groups, scouts, private groups or businesses, and the general public. The program runs from April to October with our busiest months being May and June.
Essential Functions of the Position
- Work on a seasonal, part-time basis as needed including weekends and with the possibility of long hours and inclement weather to ensure the safety of each participant at all times during the trip;
- Provide professional guidance and instruction to participants via canoe or kayak in accordance with Bike & Boat policy and professional standards;
- Conduct and assist in educational programs on each trip including aquatic ecology presentations, history programs, and other naturalist related environmental education programs;
- Transport and perform routine maintenance to equipment as needed including bikes, canoes, trailers, PFD’s, paddles, and all other supplies and equipment that may be necessary;
- Conduct safety presentations and demonstrations as needed;
- Interact with students, teachers, and general public in a responsible, friendly, and professional manner;
- Work together with a Bike and Boat program team, including a Lead Safety Officer, other River Safety Volunteers, and additional Wildlands Conservancy staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Degree in a related field or currently seeking a degree in a related field preferred; or equivalent experience as a river guide or working with youth;
- Excellent verbal communication skills - ability to deal professionally with clients including students, teachers, group leaders, and general public on a consistent, day to day basis;
- Ability to remain calm and confident during stressful situations;
- Knowledge and experience with recreational aquatic activities such as canoeing, kayaking, swimming, and fishing;
- Knowledge of educational opportunities as they relate to our program including history, geology, biology, and ecology of the Lehigh River and surrounding area;
- First Aid/CPR Certifications by the start of our season are highly preferred;
- PA child Abuse and FBI clearances by the start of the season required; Must attend a weekend training session in early May;
- Genuine desire to help clients achieve a positive outdoor recreation experience by providing professional, confident, and knowledgeable leadership at all times during the program;
- Valid driverís license required;
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
Bike and Boat trips run rain or shine. River Safety Volunteers can expect to work outside, 6-10 hour days and should be aware that there is a possibility of trips during inclement weather. Trip occurrence can be inconsistent at times; our busiest seasons are during May and June, as well as weekends throughout the remainder of the summer.
Interested applicants should complete an application and mail to the address below. For more information contact:
Outdoor Recreation Manager
3701 Orchid Place
Emmaus, PA 18049-1637
610-965-4397 ext. 135
Walk for Wellness Trail Map Order Form
Lehigh River Sojourn